Wednesday 9 May 2007

John Hughes, heed our call


For a while now I've been feeling that something has been missing from my life, a gaping hole where something warm and fulfilling should be. Couldn't put my finger on it for the longest time, until it came to me in a flash. John Hughes . . . . . where has he gone, why has he left us? The man hasn't directed a film since 1991, why is that? Has the creative well run dry?

He is still writing screenplays, it seems, but, by God, they are rubbish. What could have happened? Weird Science, Ferris Bueller . . . . how those films enriched my teenage years, providing me with much mirth and quotable dialogue when my underdeveloped conversational skills were lacking. I hope that he is not all washed up, that he can provide those that have grown up with him another masterpiece. Perhaps a vehicle for the greatest living comedian, Will Ferrell. Now that would be something - Hughes, heed this call. I command thee! Otherwise the world will be an emptier place.

3 comments:

Red Leeroy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Red Leeroy said...

My god - what a great post, i went to IMDB and took a snapshot of John, - what a freakin catalogue of genius stuff


Uncle Buck (1989) (written by)

The Great Outdoors (1988) (written by)
She's Having a Baby (1988)

Planes, Trains & Automobiles (1987) (written by)

Some Kind of Wonderful (1987) (written by)

Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986) (written by)

Pretty in Pink (1986) (written by)

Weird Science (1985)

European Vacation (1985) (also story)
... aka National Lampoon's European Vacation (UK: video box title)

The Breakfast Club (1985) (written by)

Sixteen Candles (1984)

Jerry Kiely said...

I couldn't agree more.

One of my favourite moments from one of my favourite films (the classic Uncle Buck) uttered by one of my favourite actors (John Candy) ;

"I'm Buck Melanoma. Moley Russell's wart. Not her wart. I'm her growth, her pimple. They sometimes call me Melanoma head."

Quite a catalogue of work.

J.K.

p.s. Sixteen Candles is an under-rated and relatively unknown masterpiece. See it now!